#TabletopTalk blog post written by Chana Lynn, our website developer and also the founder of @RALEIGHWHATSUP.
Instagram is definitely one of our favorite social media outlets! It’s a visually-based app and it provides users the opportunity to be very creative. In our opinion, it’s easier (and more fun!) to use than many of the other social apps out there. Whether you are using it for a business, a hobby or just for fun, chances are you're trying to gain more followers. We have some tips that actually work so you can start gaining authentic Instagram followers in no time!
1. Remember your images and overall feed must be visually clean, attractive and polished - it’s your most important asset on Instagram! Make sure your photos are not blurry and try to edit your pictures with the same filter style so the feed is cohesive and flows together nicely.
2. Make your account public. This way everyone can see your account and find your posts when they search on Instagram.
3. Make sure to go into your profile section and add your logo or a photo in the profile photo settings so people can quickly identify you, your business or interests.
4. Make your account a business account by linking it to your Facebook business page. There are many benefits to having a business Instagram account like being able to have your email, phone number and address in your bio. You also gain some great analytics on each of your posts, which can help you identify what people are liking most on your account.
5. Add your website address and link it to your website in your Instagram profile/bio. This way people can immediately click and get more info on your brand/business.
6. Maximize your bio by using short and specific descriptions of your business, interests or skills. Be clever, creative and to the point.
7. Post at least one to three times per day. You want to stay in front of your audience but not overshare, which will make people unfollow you. Pay attention to times of day that seem to get the most likes/followers. We suggest posting in the morning when people are likely to be checking their social feeds. But remember, check your analytics to see what time of day your followers are engaging the most.
8. Try and keep your following-to-followers ratio low. Don’t go and follow thousands of people and unfollow them after.
9. Spend some time on the app and like other accounts’ Instagram posts. See what’s working for others too. Engage and connect with your audience, answer their questions, and comment on other people’s posts that you follow.
10. Use targeted and specific hashtags, it can help your post gain exposure and brand recognition. Come up with a unique hashtag to help your own brand and people can follow that hashtag and see your specific posts.
11. Use the geolocation feature to let people know where the photo was taken. It increases visibility and exposure. It will also allow your photo to show up with other photos taken at that location.
12. Mention/tag other accounts in your post. It’s another great way to engage with your audience. It also helps draw attention to other relevant accounts.
13. Use multiple post formats like mixing photos and videos in a post and using Instagram stories. If you're using Instagram stories for your business, make sure to come up with a creative, clever and purposeful way to use them.